Creatures Community Chat

Friday, March 25, 2022

Free 3D models - Grendel and Norns

Hello there my Creatures friends!

Good grief it's been a long, long, long...long time! In fact, my last post seems to have been back in 2015!

I've been going through one of my semi regular Creatures stints after running into Freya's YouTube channel and the CCSF videos. I've been extremely impressed with the new True Warm Blood breeds which I've been testing out. But more on those another time😏


But what kind of a host would I be to be gone for so long and not return with gifts?

Download the Grendel and Norn models here:
Upon my return to the community Discord channels it was brought to my attention that we've been able to get our hands on some of the original 3D models from Creatures 3. Unfortunately they were pretty old models and not really in a state to be used anymore. And it didn't help that they were in 3DSMax format, which is around a $3000 program!

Fortunately the world of 3D has moved a lot in the last 20 odd years and we now have programs like Blender, which is an extremely powerful, yet somehow free 3D program. And for the past couple of years I've been learning Blender and even teaching it on my YouTube channel.

So let's cut to the chase - what does all this mean? Well, with a bit of effort I've been able to get the necessary models from 3DSMax and convert them over to Blender. Which means that (as long as you're willing to learn a little Blender) you can grab these models, rigged and ready for animation and use them completely free!

So far I've converted a male Grendel and both the male/female Bengal and Civet Norns. This is them (sorry, they don't come with the jungle background):






As you can see by the 2nd Grendel image, they can be posed and animated. If fact, with the rigs I've used you can technically use Motion Capture to animate them. Mocap is a pretty deep rabbit hole, but if anyone is interested I have some tutorials going over the process in Blender.

 Just be warned, it's probably not something you can crash learn in a weekend.

So at least in theory, using these little dudes and dudets you could put together your own little Creatures based films. As well as that, I've tried to rig them so people could use them to create 2D sprites. Admittedly it's been a long time since I did any sprites work, so I'll need some help making sure that all works properly. But all the body parts can be turned on and off manually. So you're able to create slug Grendels...if that's your thing.


I'm also working on getting the Bruin and ChiChi Norns done, but I'm missing some textures and most of the hair models for those. Assuming it's even possible to recreate them, that will take some time.

So if you're interested in having a look at these models, you can download them here. Just keep in mind this is the first version of them. They may still have some bugs. Please let me know in the comments if you find any!

Grendel: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dfgrps6quc8qzq/Grendel_male_rig_03.blend?dl=0
Bengal Norn: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8uxdlg8a6xxl9v/Norn_bengal_rig_02.blend?dl=0 

Civet Norn:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/8f716n4roynwqaq/Norn_civet_rig_02.blend?dl=0

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, these look so good! And I'm so thrilled to see you around again. Looking forward to hearing of any future norn-raising adventures you might have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing the Shee's work, friend. This is going to revolutionize breedmaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work bud, I'd love to see some of C1 breeds too :)

    ReplyDelete