Creatures Community Chat

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Creatures 1: The run

Phew, it's been a busy couple of weeks. The funniest part is I'm not actually working as such.

I've just had a major job finish up and the next one isn't due to start for a while, so I've been slaving away in front of my computer either updating my portfolio or applying for short term freelancing jobs. It's finally starting to pay dividens, so I've got a little spare time to do some writing.

On that note, if anyone is interested my 3D portfolio is www.arch-dragon.com Feel free to check out some of my non-Creatures related works.

But, back to the Norns! As I said in the last post I'm a little worried about the population. They aren't breeding as fast as I would have liked and those that can are starting to get on in age.

So my plan now is to leave them to their own devices for a night and see what happens. Judging by their progress so far I'm not entirely optimistic, but they may surprise me. If they do surprise me...well we'll have to wait and see just how surprising they are. I may come back to a full population and it may be worth leaving it longer. If only a couple survive I'll check their genetics and decide what to do.

And finally, if I come back to an extinct world I shall start over with my original 8 Norns and breed them by hand for a few generations to toughen them up more. Then I'll try it all again!

The Norn population at the moment consists of:

Females:
*Grace (9:58 hours)
*Tabby (9:18 hours)
Lillai (10:19 hours)
*Pollen (9:39 hours)
Beatrice (7:40 hours)
*Tracey (6:36 hours)


Males:
*Heartly (9:52 hours)
Jeremy (12:22 hours)
*Troll (7:35 hours)
Jake (7:35 hours)
Billy (1:56 hours)
Abe (1:08 hours)

All the Norns with a * next to their name are already in old age. It's entirely possible the Pow-wow Norns might also be in old age and just not have the sprites for it. I don't know of any way to check this.

So as you can see there's not a lot of young blood and it stands to disappear over the next few hours, leaving only 3 or 4 Norns with breeding abilities. They've all been pretty good at taking care of themselves, but few have been good at passing on these traits to the next generation.

So pick your Norns and place your bets. Tomorrow morning we shall find out the fate of my Norns. Good luck and godspeed little ones...

1 comment: