Creatures Community Chat

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Artwork: Time to leave the ship


Been ages since I've had the time or the inclination to work on this baby, but I found a little time tonight to at least start playing with the fur settings.

I've been creating puppy dogs as party of my day job, so I've been playing with hair and fur quite a bit over the past couple of weeks. Initially I thought the way to set up the direction of your fur was done via the UV map (and to an extent it is), but it turns out it's a lot easier to set things up using curves as guides. This gives a vastly more accurate result, although it does take quite a while to set up.

The image here is just my first few tweaks with the fur. As you can see it really isn't working too well. With the new knowledge I have of the fur system I'm thinking it'll be a lot simpler to go back and redo some of the model. At the moment it's really just the same model I used for 'The Island', just smoothed a little. I'll probably want to redo the UVs so the fur will work a lot nicer.


With a fair bit of work I've no doubt I could make it look good, but I'm still not entirely convinced it'll fit with the rest of the image. Thoughts people?

2 comments:

  1. The majority of this is over my head, but I wish you a lot of luck with figuring out the fur texture! My graphic skills are limited to cropping images, and maybe drawing cave-like inspired art to represent my Norns. Ha ha! Glad to hear that this project is still on your mind: I guess in the worst case, the Norn could simply be bald! This is looking quite awesome, though: Nice work so far!

    ReplyDelete